April from Good Books and Good Wine was kind enough to write a lovely guest post for me. Her blog is wonderful and you should all check it out. I will give you cookies.
Thank you, Emma!
It seems, we as a human race are facing a severe shortage. What, friends, is this shortage? Why, we aren't getting enough reading in our day. In doing a quick google search, I found out 58% of adults don't read books for leisure after high school. According to this site on average high schoolers read 7 minutes for leisure per day, but on the other hand watch 2 hours per day of TV.
I know statistics can be scary, and often, misinterpreted, and biased. I'm not here to play Chicken Little. I just want the reading revolution to occur. Here's the thing, reading is GOOD for you.
- It lowers your stress level - according to the Super Stress Solution - by 68%
- It helps you use your brain, unlike TV
- It gets you away from our crazy digital world
- Your vocabulary will improve.
- Reading will keep you out of prison. I read one state uses 4th grade reading scores to determine how many prison beds to order.
Now, I don't know if you had something like DEAR time in school (Drop Everything And Read) also called sustained silent reading, where you got a certain amount of time every day to read whatever you want, but this really is something you should carry with you throughout life, because it's true reading will make you a better person.
That said, I am done preaching to the choir!
Thank you again, Emma for letting me guest post!
Now. Go check out April's blog. This minute.